At Focus Micro Systems, we’re committed to protecting your data and respecting your privacy.
Your privacy is important to us. Focus Micro Systems are committed to comply with all relevant UK and EU laws in respect to data privacy, and towards the protection of the “rights and freedoms” of individuals whose information Focus Micro Systems, as a data controller collect. Most notably in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). This privacy statement explains what data we collect and how we use it.
Who are we?
Focus Micro Systems has continually been dedicated to providing specialist property software solutions for over 30 years. Founded in 1981 we are proud of our position as market leaders in the property management software sector.
This policy aims to meet the requirements of the GDPR across all locations, employees and customers of Focus Micro Systems.
Significant changes to data privacy laws in the EU have led to Focus Micro Systems reviewing its existing policies and procedures to ensure it meets the new criteria.
Focus Micro Systems is committed towards meeting all requirements relating to Data Privacy and its subsequent practices which include:
- Processing personal information only where this is strictly necessary for business purposes.
- Collecting only minimum personal information required for these purposes and not processing excessive personal information.
- Providing clear information to individuals about how their personal information will be used and by whom.
- Processing personal information fairly and lawfully.
- Maintaining the accuracy of personal data and that it is kept up to date.
- Retaining personal information or any software data only for as long as is necessary for both legal and/or regulatory reasons or, for other legitimate purposes.
- Respecting an individuals’ rights in relation to their personal information, including their right to access and eraser.
- Maintaining security and accessibility of personal information or any software data.
Personal data – any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person who can be identified
(a) from those data, or
(b) from those data and other information which is in the possession of, or is likely to come into the possession of, the data controller,
and includes any expression of opinion about the individual and any indication of the intentions of the data controller or any other person in respect of the individual.
Data controller – a person who (either alone or jointly or in common with other persons) determines the purposes for which and the manner in which any personal data are, or are to be, processed.
Data subject – any living individual who is the subject of personal data held by Focus Micro Systems.
What data do Focus Micro Systems collect?
- Contact information from our
customers when initially signing up to use one of our products which is recorded
inside our in house Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system. This includes:
- name, address , email addresses and telephone numbers
- Contact information of the Focus Micro Systems staff.
- Information from our customers through voluntary customer surveys and when feedback is provided about training days.
- Banking details for payments are collected from our customers at the time of setting up a demand draft but Focus Micro Systems do not store this information on any files.
- For support purposes, from customers who use our software locally, we may request and restore backups of their software data.
- Focus Micro Systems have a number of customers who use our software through the cloud. We manage their live software data and hold backups.
- Address information of prospective customers which is gathered from AFD Postcode. This uses the Royal Mail’s Postcode Address File and Postzon file to deliver a comprehensive address look-up. The information is recorded in our in house Sales Software.
If personal information or data is given or obtained that is excessive or not specifically required by Focus Micro Systems, the appointed Data Protection Officer is responsible for ensuring that it is securely deleted or destroyed in line with internal policies.
How do Focus Micro Systems process the data?
Focus Micro Systems process data lawfully, fairly and transparently.
The personal data of a customer is used for the following purposes
- For customer services
- Courtesy calls and general enquiries
- For software support queries
- To send out quotes and invoices for payment
- To send update and sales emails for our products
- To send out voluntary surveys
Software data from a customer is used for the following purposes
- For support queries where the data will be used for testing
Where do we keep data of our data subjects’ and for how long?
Personal data of a customer is hosted in the Focus Micro Systems office in Oxford and backups of our servers are done every night. Backups are kept for around 30 days
Personal data is held for as long as a customer continues to make payment to Focus Micro Systems. When they have handed in their 90 days notice and full payment has been made, we archived their data and this is held for up to 6 years.
Personal data of customers is held in our in house CRM system and in Sage which is backed up every day.
If a customer is a cloud client, their software data is hosted in the Microsoft Azure UK South data centre and backups are run every night. These backups are retained for 1 week and they are encrypted with AES 256 bit encryption with password validation.
Some software backups are stored in the Oxford Office for support queries. These backups are strictly not kept for longer than is necessary and are removed from any servers or machines when no longer required.
Personal data of employees at Focus Micro Systems is stored in paper format and lives in the Oxford office
Data Subjects’ rights
Customers and employees of Focus Micro Systems have the following rights regarding data processing, and the data that is recorded about them:
- To make access requests regarding the nature of information held and to whom it has been disclosed
- To take action to update, rectify, or erase, including the right to be forgotten, any inaccurate data
- To prevent processing likely to cause damage or distress.
- stop processing data for a period if data is inaccurate or if there is a dispute about whether or not the individual’s interests override Tate Residential’s legitimate grounds for processing data
Focus Micro Systems is a data controller and data processor under GDPR
Staff of Focus Micro Systems are responsible for ensuring that any personal data supplied by them, and that is about them, to Focus Micro Systems is accurate and up-to-date
Staff of Focus Micro Systems are responsible for ensuring that any data which Focus Micro Systems hold and for which they are responsible, is kept securely and is not under any conditions disclosed to third parties.
For software support purposes, it is the responsibility of staff at Focus Micro Systems to ensure backups of data and any extra documents are not kept for longer than is necessary and is removed from any individuals machine or server.
Changes to our privacy notice
Focus Micro Systems will not pass the personal data of any of our data subjects to third parties without first obtaining consent.
Data Protection Officer
For all enquiries relating to this policy or any data privacy practices carried out by Focus Micro Systems, please contact the appointed Data Protection Officer.
The Data protection officer is: James Spyt and can be contacted by:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 0871 2500 021 ext 118
- Post: Focus Micro Systems, Belmont House, Bayswater Farm Road, Headington, Oxon, OX3 8BX
Data Subjects whom wish to complain to Focus Micro Systems about how their personal information has been processed may lodge their complaint to the data protection officer James Spyt by email to firstname.lastname@example.org